What does it mean to quit smoking, cold turkey?
When we quit smoking, cold turkey, it means that we just stop immediately and completely.
I have read that cold turkey is the most effective way to defeat the cigarette habit. This sounds pretty accurate, considering that most people I talk to have quit cold turkey, and I am the only one I know that has quit smoking gradually.
Having been in the Emergency Medical Field for over 16 years, I have seen many people smoke off and on, and then, finally, quit all together. It appears to me, we smoke out of habit, and because of stress. In other words, when we are stressed, it is very easy to reach for a cigarette to calm us especially because that is the way we have always survived stress in the past.
Here are some tips on how to quit smoking, cold turkey.
1. Quit in the evening so that you may start the next day, fresh without the smell or temptation.
2. Throw all of your cigarettes away.
3. Use your attitude as leverage by calling yourself a "nonsmoker" and remind yourself, often, by saying, "I can do this and I can do anything I set my mind to."
4. Be mindful and aware of situations that provoke the desire for a cigarette, for example, when you are drinking or when you are around someone you usually smoke with.
5. As you are mindful of these situations, write down things that you can do to avoid these situations and cravings.
6. Be accepting of the withdrawal phase. Know that you may have withdrawal like anger, irritability, or headaches. You may even get sick. Prepare yourself mentally and physically.
7. Learn a deep relaxation or meditation exercise so that you may relax at a minutes notice. This will help combat cravings and stress.
You have the power within you to do anything that you set your mind to.
Let us take responsibility for our lives!
If you have any questions or comments, please use the comment function on the blog.
If you would like support in kicking the habit of smoking cigarettes, please follow this blog and sign up for our free monthly teleclass via our free newsletter.
Don't forget to have fun and be playful.