Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Destress and Smoke Less-Lesson One

What is Destress and Smoke Less? It is a resource for those who have tried to quit smoking over and over again.

This lesson is focused on Never Giving Up!

When it comes to habits it is very difficult to overcome. My theory is that we have tried so many times that in our mind, that runs on auto pilot, we say to ourselves, over and over again, "I have tried time after time and it is no use, I cannot quit!"

Well, you are wrong. You can quit. You have to want to quit first.

If I can quit, anyone can quit. I smoked for years and the reason I smoked is because I have ADHD and cigarettes were like a sedative for me. And now, I am a nonsmoker. Believe it or not, I love the smell of cigarettes and I love to stand next to people who smoke and yet, I do not smoke. Like I said, if I can do it, anyone can do it.

So, lets start with our attitudes. Let us have an attitude of faith in ourselves. Believe that you can quit and believe that you want to quit.

This is a simple step. Begin with memorizing the phrase, "I want to quit and I am going to quit." Say this to yourself over and over again all week long and notice the conversation that you have with yourself in your mind.

This may sound silly but it won't hurt to try it. What we will do is take responsibility for our thoughts by first noticing our thoughts and then evolving them from doubt to faith.

Your homework is to memorize and say the phrase, "I want to quit and I am going to quit," several times this week and then notice your thought process. That is simple enough!

Let us start our journey to Destress and Smoke Less.

Happy Thanksgiving and don't forget to have fun and be playful.

Elizabeth


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will do it. Thank you.